Tuesday, March 30, 2010

03/30/10

Hello everyone,
Sorry I'm not good at remembering to tell you about transfers; but as you've guessed they are this week. We got our calls last night and Sister Boyd will be leaving and I will be staying for at least one more transfer. Time goes by fast but I've learned a lot from each of my companions so I'm excited to keep learning.
This past week has been nothing short of miracles. I don't even know where to begin. The Hernandez family, the family where the husband's a member but his wife and fourteen year old daughter aren't are doing very well. We've been teaching them a little over a month and their testimonies have really grown. This Sunday exactly a year from when Brother Hernandez was baptised, he got to see and baptise his wife and daughter. We asked him to give a talk on baptism and the Holy Ghost and it was so powerful. There isn't a better feeling than to see families living and enjoying the blessings of the gospel together. He was so happy to have his family be together.
On Friday Sister Boyd and I had the rare and probably only opportunity to have two youth from another ward (about thirty minutes away) come spend a day with us. Our Mission President called us to give us more information and there were only 13 youth who were doing it. The purpose was to get the youth excited about missionary work and hopefully spark a desire for them to serve missions. The girls were sixteen and seventeen years old (not related) and they were with us from 6:00 P.M. until 11:00 A.M. It was a vey interesting experience. We weren't told much but the only big requirement was that we needed to teach the restoration to someone.
They were both so willing and ready to go out and work. We ended up teaching the restoration to a recent convert, Sister Laurie (the nineteen year old blind girl). They did a great job teaching different principles and their testimonies were so pure and perfect. The night went by fast and after our lesson we went back to the apartment to have dinner, and they cooked!
The next morning (Saturday) they exercised with us, had breakfast, and we did our studies. During companionship study we did some role plays with them which consisted of teaching lessons and door approaches! We also took time to answer questions that they had. I was so surpised at some of the questions they've been asked by their friends and they actually took time to answer and wanted to explain things to them rather then just letting the moment pass by. One of the girls even got on LDS.org and typed in a couple questions online to get an answer.
I never realized how different it is for youth in the church, even in a different state. Sister Boyd and I thought 6:30 was going to be too early for them but they wake up every morning at 5:30 to go to seminary. I use to worry about the youth, especially my younger brothers and sisters but after this experience I don't anymore. My testimony of the the knowledge Heavenly Father has has been reaffirmed. We're all on this earth at the exact moment and time that we need to be. They were both so bold and very mature even in difficult situations. It made me want to be more like them and look at what I can do to be a better missionary/ person.
My time is running out on the computer and there are people waiting to get on after me but I love you all and will update you next week on how transfers go. Thank you for all of your support.
Love you lots,
Sister Green

No comments:

Post a Comment